It’s a yellow colored versatile essential oil derived from the leaves of tea tree plant (Melaleuca alternifolia), which is native to Australia. In 20th century tea tree oil has been valued for its antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral activity.
These notable properties make tea tree oil for back acne an effective and inexpensive home remedy and it also enticed cosmetic industries to include tea tree oil as an ingredient in soaps, shampoos, lotions and beauty products.
Sebaceous glands can be found throughout the skin excluding palms and soles. Few beauty experts say your back has more sebaceous glands compared to other areas. When inflammation is triggered due to hormonal imbalance, excess sebum secreted by these sebaceous glands gets clogged at skin pores along with dead cells resulting in pimples/acne.
Also referred as “Bacne”, people suffering from back acne feel uncomfortable and depressed. Though there are effective creams to instantly reduce acne blemishes, most beauty experts recommend natural remedies like tea tree oil, aloe vera and honey, because those store brought creams are pricey and expensive. On the other hand, natural remedies are effective and inexpensive with no side-effects.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Bacne
Remember, this natural remedy may not work for all skin types. But, you’re free to add other innate ingredients to make it suitable and effective for your skin. Let’s now put down few renowned nutritional benefits.
- Controls excess sebum production: Assorted properties in tea tree oil can effectively reduce sebum production.
- Fight acne causing bacteria: Based on a study, anecdotal evidence of antiseptic and antimicrobial activity in tea tree oil has shown in treating acne and other skin disorders with fewer side-effects.
- Antibacterial and anti-fungal agents housed in tea tree oil restrain bacterial and fungal infection. Chronic skin infections like eczema, yeast infection and Athlete’s foot can be reduced using this oil. (1)
- Terpenoids that include eucalyptol, terpinen-4-ol, nerolidol, cineole and viridiflorol in tea tree oil exhibits antimicrobial properties. Whereas Eucalyptol show antiseptic activity.
- Fasten healing process: Exceptional agents residing in this essential oil can enhance healing of acne blemishes.
How to use tea tree oil for back acne?
Applying tea tree oil on back acne is not easy, as you can’t reach your back by yourself. Ask your friend, partner or spouse to apply this essential oil over acne breakouts. Consider a care taker, as evenly massaging is essential. Dilute tea tree oil with other essential oils, because higher concentration of tea tree oil can irritate your skin.
- Wash affected area with lukewarm water and cleanse the back.
- Mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil with 1 tbsp of honey and yogurt (optional). With the help of your partner evenly apply the tea tree oil mask over bacne breakouts.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
Mix tea tree oil and aloe vera gel in a bowl and apply it over acne blemishes. Experts recommend raw honey for its abundant nutrients; anyhow you can replace honey with aloe vera gel or green clay. Mix 2 tbsp of green clay powder with 3-4 drops of tea tree oil and topically apply over acne.
Also read: How to use aloe vera gel for pimples?
Tea tree oil and jojoba oil, both are packed with bunch of exceptional properties that can effectively treat skin disorders like acne, eczema and warts. Blend 1 tbsp of jojoba oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil and apply over infected area using cotton ball.
Also read: Jojoba oil for treating acne
Even olive oil and tea tree oil can be mixed to use it to treat acne blemishes. Regularly apply this lotion over bacne and it will help to fade acne scars to some extent.
You can directly apply tea tree oil over pimples as spot treatment. Dip cotton swap in tea tree oil and apply it over acne lesions.
Though there is no strong scientific evidence, tea tree oil for back acne has been recommended by many beauty experts. Depending on your skin type this innate remedy may or may not work for you, do a patch test before trying this oil.