Also known as hydrogen borate, boric acid commonly used as an antiseptic, flame retardant and is included in cosmetic products. Its slightly unctuous and colorless powder obtained by reacting borax with mineral acid. Anti-fungal, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties in boric acid thwart candida yeast. Though boric acid for yeast infection works in most cases, we lack data on its mechanism.
Vaginal yeast infection is common and is not associated with any serious health issue, but is accompanied by vigorous itching, yes its quite annoying to scratch all the time, you can’t stop yourself, even in parties. Main reason behind yeast infection is candida yeast which grows exponentially in vagina, as the good bacteria that can restrain its growth decreases. Along with boric acid you must change your diet, like avoid sugar because candida yeast feed on sugar.
Also read: Tea tree oil for yeast infection
How Boric Acid for Yeast Infection Works?
- A study carried out in 2010 “Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology”, states that boric acid contains antioxidant properties which play a vital role in protecting your body from harmful bacteria. (1)
- It’s packed with anti-fungal properties which stops candida yeast growth. (2)
- Boric acid suppositories have been shown symptomatic relief within 24 hours of application. Anyhow its takes 7-10 days to completely treat infection.
- Antibacterial property in boric acid made it a healthy remedy to treat acne, minor burns and athlete’s foot.
- Study carried out to known the mechanism of anti-fungal property of boric acid in treating candidasis which concludes that assorted concentration of boric acid kills fungus. (3)
- Properties in boric acid reduce the inflammation and itching caused due to yeast infection.
Also read: Coconut oil for yeast infection
How to use Boric Acid for Vagina Yeast Infection?
Avoid taking boric capsules orally, its toxic. Instead you can insert boric acid capsule in vagina for 7 days to treat candidasis. Buy boric acid powder from local drug store and fill size 0 gelatin capsules with it to make your own boric acid capsule.
- After washing your hands with water, pat dry.
- Take boric acid suppositories and insert it into vagina, bring your legs together for a while or lie down.
- Remove the suppository in the morning.
- Wash your hands after inserting.
Note: Boric acid may cause skin irritation, though not frequently. Avoid consuming it, its toxic. Pregnant women are not advised to use boric acid.
You can use apple cider vinegar for yeast infection as an alternate remedy.
Boric acid for yeast infection is an effective home remedy. Though more research is needed to prove how boric acid works to treat yeast infection, studies show 70 out of 100 women cured yeast infection with boric acid. Use it for 7 days and see how it works for you. (4)
Did you ever use boric acid suppositories? Share your views in comments.