According to Medicinenet.com, about 90% of yeast infections are caused by yeast scientifically known as Candida albicans. Yeast is a fungus and it lives in vagina with other bacteria called Lactobacillus acidophilus, these bacteria restrain yeast growth. When the bacteria number decreases, yeast rush to occupy the vacancy, causing yeast infection. Though it’s not a serious issue, it’s quite annoying to scratch in public. (1)
Yogurt for yeast infection is one those innate remedies that can treat and soothe itching. Yogurt increases the good bacteria which thwarts growing yeast. Vaginal yeast infection is most common in women and from decades yogurt has been used as douche to treat yeast infection. Based on a study, honey and yogurt mixture can be used as an alternative to treat vulvo-vaginal candidiasis (vaginal yeast infection). (2)
Also read: Candida and body odor
Does Yogurt Help Yeast Infection?
Yogurt to treat yeast infection has been recommended and used from decades. According to WebMD, consuming yogurt with live cultures may prevent yeast from recurring. (3)
- Healthy vagina contains bacteria (in large number) and yeast (in small number), problem arises when the good bacteria decreases, yogurt contains Lactobacillus acidophilus the bacteria which restrains yeast growth by producing hydrogen peroxide.
- Yogurt with live cultures has friendly bacteria that aids in treating yeast infection.
- Sometimes antibiotics may kill the good bacteria, consuming yeast or douching yeast and honey mixture stimulates bacteria growth.
- Yogurt contains probiotics. A study has been carried out to review probiotics preventing yeast infection. Though study concludes with no strong proof, it’s recommended in the report that probiotics can be used to prevent recurring yeast infection in women. (4)
- Topical application of yogurt soothes skin, enhances pH of skin and relives you from vigorous itching.
How to Apply Yogurt for Yeast Infection?
According to US News Health, Greek yogurt for yeast infection can be more beneficial, as it contains approximately half as many carbohydrates as other yogurt. (Yeast feed on carbohydrates)
1. Eating Yogurt
Yogurt is made by fermenting milk and bacteria. It has been used in medical industries to restore normal bacteria in intestine tract and vagina. You may wonder how much yogurt you need to eat. Start with small amount regularly; it has no serious side-effects so you can substitute it with your breakfast.
2. Topical Application of Yogurt
For a quick relief from itching, try douching yogurt on affected part. Wash the affected area before applying yogurt. When you’re done with applying unsweetened plain yogurt, leave it for about 1 hour and rinse it off with water.
Also read: Argan oil and Yogurt face mask
3. Yogurt Tampon
- Apple yogurt on a tampon.
- Freeze it and insert it on your vagina.
- Or you can dip tampon in yogurt for about 6 hours and use it.
Unfortunately there is no data to back this theory; anyhow few women had positive impact on affected area after applying yogurt. (5)
Plain unsweetened yogurt is the best yogurt for yeast infection.
Did you ever use yogurt? Share your thoughts in comments.
Yeast is a common fungus found in vagina, yeast infection is caused when yeast grows exponentially. Yogurt contains bacteria that restrain yeast growth. You can either consume it or topically apply it to treat yeast infection.
For serious issues please consult physician.