Acne is the most common skin disease affecting 80 percent of US population. Research reveals that 11 to 30 age group people will certainly have acne breakout at some point of their life. (1)
Often pimples are accompanied by mild to severe inflammation. Filled with blood and pus, pimples often invaded by bacteria to worsen the situation., treating acne is not tough, with lots of home available remedies you can cure them easily.
Red clover is an herbal remedy that can effectively treat acne and reduce inflammation to make your skin supple. It’s red and purple flowers are packed with medicinal properties, which has been used to treat different health and skin ailments. It is also known as cow clover, trefoil, meadow clover and purple clover. This herbal plant is commonly found in Britain, Europe, Asia and has been found in mountains. (2)
Benefits of Red Clover for Acne
Red clover contains rich nutrients that can improve immune system and overall health functioning. Skin ailments like acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea are commonly caused due to inefficiency of your skin. Red clover when consumed internally (in small quantities) can thwart toxins in the blood and flush them out through kidneys.
Notable nutrients residing in red clover are vitamin B, C, E, iron, calcium, choline and magnesium. Isoflavones housed in this herbal plant had shown significant effect in reducing menopausal in women. Coumarin is a compound in this herbal remedy that can make blood arteries flexible and avoid blood clotting.
- Acne is mainly triggered due to inflammation, which increases secretion of sebum. Excess sebum gets blocked with dead cells over skin pores.
- Assorted properties residing in red clover restrain toxins in blood and flush them out.
- Its anti-inflammatory activity reduces acne inflammation and effectively reduce acne bump.
- Resins in this herbal plant exhibits antimicrobial property that can relive you from respiratory, cough and gives warming effect.
- Isoflavones in red clover are changed to phytoestrogens that are similar to estrogen hormones. Studies show that estrogen relives acne blemishes.
- In simple words, Isoflavones bind itself to estrogen and reduce hormonal effect in the body reducing excess production of sebum.
- Chinese used this herbal remedy to treat expectorant (cough) and Russian used it to treat asthma.
- Topically application of red clover can effectively enhance healing of wounds and treat psoriasis. (3)
Though above listed benefits are enticing, most of them lack scientific evidence. Anyhow, under the supervision of physician you can try red clover for acne blemishes.
Pregnant and breast feeding women shouldn’t try this herbal tea as it may change hormonal effect in the body. Apart from consuming it with tea or in meals, you can topically apply red clover on skin.
How to Use Red Clover?
Either for acne or other skin ailments you can directly consume red clover tea regularly to benefit from its medicinal properties.
Else, mix it with honey or salads to consume it internally. Start with little quantity of red clover and increase as recommended by physician.
Apart from this, you can also try red clover capsules for treating acne.
Red clover is a natural remedy, but it wrong assumption that all natural products are free from side-effects. Excess intake of red clover may trigger abnormal functioning of your health.
Dosage depends on various factors like health, age and severity of the disease. As it’s not scientifically proven that red clover for acne or other ailments is effective, it’s recommended to consult doctor before consuming it.