Minocycline has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which can treat acne. Propionibacterium acnes, the bacteria which is the main cause of acne blemishes can be restrained with anti-bacterial properties.
It was believed that minocycline is most effective antibiotic for treating acne inflammation. Anyhow, after studies it was proved that other tetracycline antibiotics can treat acne without side-effects. Though minocycline has properties to treat acne, it’s now not first line antibiotic acne treatment because of its adverse effects.
Related post: Cortisone Cream for acne
Below listed are few points disclosing why minocycline for acne is not recommended.
- Minocycline belongs to tetracycline antibiotics and it can treat bacterial infections, skin infection, severe acne and urinary tract says Drugs.com. However it’s very expensive when compared to other oral antibiotics.
- Drugs.com doesn’t recommend minocycline for pregnant women, as this may harm unborn baby and may permanent cause tooth discoloration.
- Minocycline neutralizes birth pills. Experts don’t recommend minocycline if you’re taking birth control pills.
- Makes your skin sensitive to sun.
- Long term use of minocycline may cause hyperpigmentation. (Source: pubmed.gov)
- This antibiotic treatment may induce hypersensitivity reactions affecting liver, kidney, and lungs, also may cause autoimmune reactions. (Source: pubmed.gov)
Considering its adverse effects with its efficacy in treating acne, experts don’t recommend minocycline for acne as first line antibiotic treatment.
Note: Anyway if you want to give this pricey antibiotic a try then don’t do it without doctor’s prescription.
Share your home remedy for acne here in comments.