Licorice is prominently used to treat digestive issues, stomach ailments and can be used to flavor foods. Extracts from licorice root can be effective over the skin. In this article I’ll discuss on how licorice for skin lightening works.
Not knowing about the ingredients women flock for cosmetic creams. The alluring model shown over the adverting campaign by cosmetic industries is aspiring women to be like one. But, the reality is far away from what they show.
Even dermatologist refrained use of few cosmetic creams as they include chemical ingredients that can trigger contact dermatitis in some people. (1) Instead of spending huge money over beauty products, spare sometime with your granny, as she knew many home remedies for common skin ailments.
You can’t expect gorgeous look with impurities and dry patches over the skin. Alarming increase in pollutants pile over your skin along with dead cells, and if you don’t care to wipe them, they form dark spots.
Have a glance at your kitchen and you’ll find a bunch of ingredients that can turn your dark skin to radiant. Well, I must disclose that these remedies may or may not change your skin complexion. The impurities, excess sebum and dead cells make your skin dark, which can be removed using these remedies.
Licorice for Skin Lightening
Your prayers for radiant skin are finally answered. Licorice is an herb which has extensive use in herbal remedy. Root of licorice effectively works on your sensitive skin without stealing its moisture. Interesting thing is that you can blend other herbal oils with this innate ingredient.
- Exceptional properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-carcinogenic are included in this oil. Compounds like glycyrrizinic, saponins, flavonoids and glycosides are also packed in this herb.
- A study carried out to check the effect of licorice oil for skin lightening. Other ingredients like retinoic acid and betamethasone were blended with this herbal extract. In 70 percent of people the remedy shown positive result.
This nutritional profile enticed cosmetic world, so you can find licorice root extract in most cosmetic and skin disease creams. But as they are refined and mixed with other chemical to increase shelf life of the product you may not find it more effective.
There are reports which claim that topical application of licorice oil can reduce eczema inflammation, which is a chronic skin issue and is accompanied by dry itchy skin.
How to Use Licorice Serum on Skin?
Licorice serum works on all skin types, you don’t have to worry if you’ve oily skin. Unlike cosmetic creams, this oil is gentle towards your skin. It helps to cleanse impurities, hydrate skin and fade dark spots.
For acne and dark spots you can use it as a spot treatment. Assorted nutrients in licorice oil reduce production of melanin and thus help to get rid of hyperpigmentation. Apart from this, topically massaging with the oil will protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Natural remedies always fill your skin with vitamins and minerals with which your skin starts to glow naturally. Cosmetic cream can make you look beautiful for time being, but the effect of licorice oil on your skin will bring back those lost youthful days.
- Experts recommend blending licorice oil with gigawhite serum for skin lightening. You can find this combination in local drug store.
- Initially, wash your skin with water or cleanse it. Pat dry with soft cloth and massage gently with the mixed serum. Leave it to dry naturally.
Another recipe of using licorice oil is to blend it with oats and rosewater.
- Cook oats to make smooth paste, add licorice powder and required amount of rosewater to it. Now wash your face with lukewarm water and make sure to clean it. Apply the face evenly, leave it to dry naturally. Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes.
Both licorice powder and its oil have exceptional benefits for your skin and health. You can use it as spot treatment to fasten the healing process. As mentioned above, it can moisturize your skin and remove dark complexion.
Your skin turns dark due to various factors including hormonal imbalance, prolonged exposure to sunlight, hereditary, low vitamin intake, dehydration, skin ailments and by spending long hours before computer screen. So you must change your lifestyle when you start using this remedy, like drink enough water, take vitamin rich diet and over yourself while going out.
Gram flour, rice powder and raw honey are other natural remedies for glowing skin.
Did you ever use licorice for skin lightening? Share your views in comments.