Main cause of this chronic skin ailment isn’t known. Researchers hold genetics, food irritants, stress and other external factors to trigger eczema.
You can’t completely cure eczema; however, using lavender oil for eczema you can reduce its symptoms.
These dry itchy patches are annoying and ruin your physical appearance. Don’t worry you’re not alone; approximately 9-30% of US population are affected by eczema. (1)
Red inflamed skin, intense itching, blisters or bumps on the skin, rough and scaly patches are few common signs of eczema.
There is a wide range of home remedies and cosmetic products that claim to treat eczema. While home ingredients are packed with the natural ability to soothe inflammation and reduce eczema flare-ups, cosmetic creams are incorporated with chemical ingredients that may irritate your skin.
One thing you must remember before proceeding is, what worked for me may not work for you. So, as natural remedies aren’t associated with any side-effects you can give it a try.
How Lavender Oil for Eczema Works?
I can imagine that embarrassing situation to scratch in public areas. To get rid of these itchy patches I applied steroid cream, which I brought from a local store. Inflammation, red itchy patches were reduced within a week and it was great.
But, after 1-2 months, again slowly itching started. Steroid cream may show you instant result but they don’t treat the ailment from root.
This essential oil is a broader spectrum for you. Because of its healing and restorative properties, lavender oil has been used to in World War-I for heal wounds.
- Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and healing properties residing in lavender oil can effectively reduce scaly patches and help to obtain a smooth texture.
- Itchy rashes, redness and inflammation signs of eczema can be reduced by anti-inflammatory ability of this essential oil.
- Lavender penetrates deep into the skin and promotes healing.
- Aromatic property of lavender oil helps to reduce stress that can reduce eczema and improve your mood.
- Apart from reducing eczema flare-ups, assorted nutrients in this oil can enhance over all functioning of the skin.
- Its moisturizing ability will help to make your skin soft and supple.
Note: Pregnant women must stay away from lavender oil. Or consult your physician before using it.
How to Use Lavender Oil to Treat Eczema?
Wash the affected area with water to cleanse the impurities and pat dry with a soft cloth.
Take few drops of pure lavender essential oil in our palm and apply gently on eczema flare-ups. Leave it to dry naturally.
Night is the best time to apply this home remedy. Repeat the process regularly till eczema scars fade.
Simple, isn’t it?
But, some beauty experts recommend diluting essential oil with base oil.
To make homemade spray, blend 1 cup of distilled water with 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Shake well before spraying it over the skin.
Or use coconut oil to dilute.
- Blend coconut oil in 15-20 drops of lavender oil.
- Mix well and apply it over prewashed skin.
- Leave it to dry naturally.
The reason why experts don’t recommend applying undiluted lavender oil is that it can be too harsh on your sensitive skin. So to avoid any irritation, it’s safe to blend coconut oil or water.
Try coconut and lavender oil for eczema and please share your own recipes in comments.