In US alone 50 million people are affected by acne annually. Cosmetic industries has been cashing on this huge opportunity with their chemical included creams. In this article I’ll share a natural remedy, jojoba oil for acne.
Jojoba oil is a liquid wax extracted from the jojoba plant. Properties of this liquid wax are identical to skin’s natural oil sebum. This is why it’s included as an ingredient in many cosmetic products.
Jojoba oil is non-comedogenic in nature; Comedo is a type of pimple or lesion caused due to excess oil or bacterial infection. A non-comedogenic cleanser controls excess sebum production but doesn’t stripe natural oils from skin.
Mix jojoba oil with vitamin C or aloe vera gel. Anti bacterial properties of aloe helps fight bacteria in pores and vitamin C boosts immune system.
We recommend aloe vera and jojoba oil, because of aloe’s gamut nutritional values.
What Causes Acne?
Unfortunately, the real cause of this skin disorder is not known. Experts say that hormonal imbalance that occurs when a person reaches puberty is primary cause of acne inflammation.
Other studies state genetics, medication with androgen and cosmetic creams can trigger acne flare-ups.
Whiteheads, nobules, cysts, blackheads, papules and pustules are different types of acne pimples.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Skin and Acne
- Anti-inflammatory property and Vitamin E residing in this liquid wax reduces acne inflammation.
- Vitamin B helps to maintain hormonal balance for healthy functioning of the skin.
- Its distinct feature helps to unclog blocked skin pores.
- A natural moisturizer, aloe vera and jojoba oil can soothe your skin. From head-to-toe you can use jojoba oil. (List of natural moisturizers)
- Jojoba oil can be used as a cuticle moisturizing cream, just drop one drop of jojoba oil to fight dry cuticles.
- It’s a makeup removal, using a cotton ball dipped in jojoba oil to remove makeup.
- Apart from acne, jojoba oil can effectively treat other chronic skin ailments including eczema and psoriasis.
- If you’ve oily skin don’t worry you can use this oil, properties in jojoba oil controls excess production of sebum.
- Antioxidant properties in jojoba oil help to fight free harmful radicals effecting skin.
- It has antibacterial agent which fight acne infecting bacteria, this reducing acne flare-ups.
A study carried out in Italy state that jojoba oil has ability to fasten the healing process and stimulate collagen production.
Another study, regular application of jojoba oil face mask efficiently reduced acne and enhances supple skin.
How to Use Jojoba Oil for Acne?
Yes it seems paradoxical that oil is used to treat acne which is caused by excess oil production. Because jojoba is not oil but a wax, this is similar to skin’s natural oil.
Jojoba oil when applied on skin with aloe gel forms a paradoxical effect controlling oil production and reduces bacterial infection. It tricks skin to produce less sebum.
Its anti-bacterial ability restrains P.acnes bacteria. Jojoba oil also acts as a cleanser to unblock skin pores, reduce itching and inflammation.
- Wash the affected part with cleanser.
- Pat dry and when the skin is still damp, using cotton ball apply jojoba oil + aloe gel (1 tbsp of jojoba oil and few drops of aloe vera gel). Don’t scrub.
- Repeat the process 3 times, as this is purging period you may see acne pores purging.
Raw Honey, Jojoba Oil and Lemon Juice
Benefits of honey and lemon are renowned. Just by applying raw honey you can treat acne lesions.
However, for effective remedy people prefer to blend all these ingredients.
Take 3 tablespoon of jojoba oil, 1 tablespoon of honey, few drops of lemon juice and mashed strawberries.
Also read this: Use raw honey to cure acne.
Jojoba Oil, Frankincense Oil and Carrot Seed Oil
This blend of all innate ingredients will not only treat acne blemishes, but helps to obtain flawless skin.
Nutrients in these natural oils penetrate deep into the skin to stimulate healthy functioning.
Take ¼ ounce of jojoba oil, ¼ ounce of evening primrose oil, ¼ ounce of pomegranate oil, 15 drops of vitamin E oil, 10 drops of carrot seed oil and 20 drops of frankincense oil.
Mix all ingredients and apply it over prewashed face.
How to Store Jojoba Oil?
You can store jojoba oil, it will not spoil. But if water droplets enter it may leave jojoba oil with black dots in it.
Use air tight container and take away from bathroom after use. Place it refrigerator for future use.
Did you ever use jojoba oil for acne? Share your recipe in comments.