Assorted nutritional properties like antioxidants, vitamin C, salicylic acid, zinc, potassium and calcium are housed in cranberry juice. Some evidence show consumption of cranberry juice can help prevent urinary tract infection, anyhow it’s not definite. Components in cranberry juice had shown to prevent E. coli and H. pylori bacterial growth.
Though cranberry juice for yeast infection lacks decisive evidence, like other folk remedies beauty experts suggest to give it a try, as it may work for you. Yeast are no foreign fungus, they live in vagina in small number, when the good bacteria which inhibits yeast growth decreases, candida yeast grow exponentially triggering itching and redness. Along with home remedies you must checkout your diet and avoid taking sugar as candida yeast feed on sugar.
Also read: Yogurt for treating yeast infection
How Cranberry Juice for Yeast Infection Works?
Let’s dwell deep into nutritional profile of cranberries that aids in treating yeast infection.
- A laboratory study (funded by NCCAM) concludes that cranberry juice may have antioxidant agents. And this property helps to restrain candida yeast growth. According to a journal published in 2007 antioxidants can make anti-candida drug more effective. (1)
- Drinking cranberry juice levels pH level of urine, this flush out yeast from the body.
- A research carried out on women with yeast infection, half of them given cranberry juice and other are left without giving any medicine for 6 months. After 6 months women only 8 among them left with infection other were almost treated. (2)
- Various properties in cranberries fight candida yeast and enhances healthy environment for lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria.
- Substance in cranberry juice prevents infection causing yeast from sticking to mucus membrane.
[Related post: Oil of oregano for yeast infection]
Treating Yeast Infection with Cranberry Juice
Drinking cranberry juice regularly can help you to reduce yeast infection. But normally cranberry juice contains sugar and consuming it can worsen the situation. So experts recommend unsweetened cranberry juice. If you don’t like the strong taste of cranberries then alternatively you can take cranberry pills from local drug store.
Drink cranberry juice 2 to 3 times a day. Remember to drink 100% pure cranberry juice with no added sugar.
Along with this innate remedy you need to change your diet and keep your genitals clean and dry. Alternatively you can try apple cider vinegar for yeast infection, click here.
You can make cranberry juice at home, recipe here.
Did you ever use cranberry juice for yeast infection? Share your story with us in comments.