I always check ingredients list at the back of every product and interestingly most of them incorporate natural substance. This curiosity made me research about the use of almond oil for psoriasis.
The quest to treat chronic ailments takes me to natural remedies.
It’s not that I hate over-the-counter medicines, but I love innate ingredients and I personally use them to treat minor health and skin ailments.
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disorder that not only results in dry flare-ups over the skin but shatters your social life.
Though scientist says that you can’t permanently treat psoriasis, which is true. A consistent treatment regimen will show a positive effect on these dry patches.
What Causes Psoriasis on Scalp and Skin?
The main cause of this skin ailment is unknown.
But, researchers hold immune system to trigger rapid growth rate of skin cells.
When the skin fails to shed them quickly, a layer of dead cells are formed. These dry patches are accompanied by itching and inflammation. (1)
Jump to: How to Use
Is Almond Oil Good for Psoriasis
Fact that almond oil can treat psoriasis and scalp psoriasis is just the tip of an iceberg.
This innate oil is known for its immense healing properties. To reap its nutritional benefits cosmetic manufacturers incorporate it into their products.
- Anti-inflammatory activity of this oil helps to reduce inflammation triggered due to psoriasis.
- Emollient property packed in almond oil penetrates deep into the skin and hydrates dry itchy patches. It also eliminates itchy patches by locking moisture over the skin.
- Analgesic activity exhibited by this homemade remedy can relieve pain caused by repeated itching on psoriasis flare-ups.
- Sweet almond oil can be ingested which helps to boost your immune system. It stimulates the production of defensive elements that guards your skin against
- The exfoliating activity of this homemade mask can remove dead cells and other impurities.
- Vitamin A, E, and B residing in this miraculous oil improve absorption of your skin and avoid blocking of skin pores.
- Fatty acids and vitamin E housed in almond oil can make your skin soft and free from wrinkles.
- Almond oil is an anti-hepatotoxic remedy that restrains liver damage and helps in its smooth functioning.
- Regular massage with almond oil mask will improve blood circulation and you’ll feel relaxed.
- Antioxidant ability of sweet almond oil can protect your skin from harmful UV rays. (2)
Note: Mentally prepare yourself that treating psoriasis is not one-time solution. You must undergo thorough medical regimen.
How to Use Almond Oil for Psoriasis?
Before using it over the face, patch test.
You can use sweet almond oil internally, but most beauty experts say that topical application will show great impact over psoriasis flare-ups.
The reason why I love natural remedies is that you can add or remove ingredients that may irritate your sensitive skin.
Below are different recipes to treat psoriasis. Go with the one, which suits your skin. J
Sweet Almond Oil for Psoriasis
Wash psoriasis affected apart with water to cleanse. Don’t be harsh or scratch while washing.
Pat dry with a soft cloth and evenly apply sweet almond oil over the skin.
Experts recommend blending this oil with other essential oil to dilute them. You can use helichrysum essential oil with sweet almond oil.
After topical application leave it to dry naturally.
Also read: Flaxseed oil for psoriasis
Remove Dead Skin From Psoriasis
As mentioned above, avoid extreme scrubbing or rubbing over psoriasis affected part.
- Take 1 tablespoon of almond oil and add 1 teaspoon of sugar to it.
- Gently massage over the psoriasis patches and then rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can mix gram flour powder with almond oil.
Almond, Gram Flour, and Lemon Juice
Like above mask, even this homemade mask recipe can help to cleanse dead cells and impurities.
- Instead of almond oil, crush 4-5 almonds and add 1 teaspoon of milk to it.
- Also, add few drops of lemon juice and required amount of gram flour to the mixture.
- Apply it over psoriasis affected part for natural exfoliation.
If you’ve severe psoriasis flare-ups that can be irritated with exfoliation, then avoid this recipe.
Almond Oil for Psoriasis (Ultimate Homemade Recipe)
If you want to make your remedy more effective, then try this recipe with all essential oils and home available ingredients.
- Sweet almond oil – 6 tablespoons
- Lavender oil – 11 drops
- Geranium oil – 10 drops
- Patchouli oil – 4 drops
- Frankincense oil – 10 drops
- Mandarin oil – 3 drops
- Ylang Ylang oil – 1 drop
- Clary sage oil – 1 drop
- Bergamot oil – 9 drops
Add listed ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. The effectiveness of this remedy depends on the quality of essential oils you used in it.
Wash the area and apply this ultimate natural remedy over psoriasis affected part.
Almond Oil and Bergamot Oil for Psoriasis
Various studies back the effectiveness of essential oils. If you want to try a simpler version to treat psoriasis, try this remedy.
- Take 1 drops of bergamot oil with 5 ml of sweet almond in a bowl.
- Alternatively, you can add 1 drop of lavender oil and frankincense oil.
- Gently apply over psoriasis affected part and leave it to dry naturally.
Almond Oil for Scalp Psoriasis
50 percent of people with psoriasis will have it over the scalp.
Dry inflamed patches will be formed over the scalp. It results in hair loss and ruins your appearance. Persistent itching is very painful. (Source)
- Blend almond oil with amla oil and apply it over prewashed scalp.
- Ask your partner to apply the oil over the scalp with fingertips.
- Leave it to dry naturally.
- Avoid chemical incorporated dyes or cosmetics over the scalp.
Best time to apply this hair mask is after washing your hair when they are still damp or before going to sleep.
Almond Oil and Lavender Oil for Hair
Scalp psoriasis results in dry hair and scalp. Emollient property residing in these natural oils will hydrate the dry scalp.
- Blend 4 tablespoons of sweet almond oil with 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil in a container.
- Heat the container in hot water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair.
- When the hair is still damp, apply this oil mixture evenly over the scalp.
You can mix extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, mint or rosemary oil with sweet almond oil.
Almond Oil for Nail Psoriasis
Though there is no evidence of almond oil to be effective over nail psoriasis. Assorted nutrients in this innate oil can hydrate dry cuticles and its anti-inflammatory ability helps to reduce psoriasis inflammation.
Dip a cotton ball in sweet almond oil and apply it over cuticles and around the nail plate. As this natural remedy isn’t associated with any side-effects you can use it twice over the nails.
Side-Effects of Almonds
Too much of anything isn’t health.
Over dose of almonds can results in various side-effects like gastrointestinal issues, headache, dizziness, weight gain, allergic reaction and stimulate bacterial growth.
Tips and Precautions to Treat Almond Oil for Psoriasis:
Regular application of these home remedies may help to reduce flare-ups, but you must stay away from irritants that trigger the inflammation.
- Blend almond oil with other natural oils.
- Avoid ingredients that can irritate your sensitive skin. (Patch test before using any of the remedy listed above)
- Foods like gluten, condiments, citrus fruits, alcohol, red meat and junk foods must be avoided.
- Avoid extreme exfoliation or scratching.
- Don’t stop using medication or other treatment.
- Avoid using chemical included cosmetic products and direct sun exposure.
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 while going out.
- In cold seasons, moisturize your skin with natural oils regularly.
- Consult dermatologist regularly.